Edward C. Cunningham
Mediator | Arbitrator | Private Judge | Special Master | Attorney
Areas of Expertise -- Auto Negligence, Business, Class Action, Commercial, Construction, Eminent Domain, Employment, Insurance & Bad Faith, Medical Malpractice, Nursing Home, Oil & Gas, Personal Injury, Probate, Product Liability, Professional Negligence, Real Estate
Ed Cunningham has over twenty-nine years of experience as a judge in one of the fastest growing counties in Oklahoma. He retired from the bench in 2010, after serving as the presiding District Judge for twenty-five years, the Associate District Judge and Special Judge for two years each. His judicial experience included every possible type of litigation from complex multiple party class actions and more than 250 jury trials to traffic court and small claims cases.
In addition, Ed was a member of the Court on the Judiciary for twenty-one years, serving as Presiding Judge of the Appellate Division of that Court at the time of his retirement from the bench. He was appointed Presiding Judge for a number of panels for the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals and served on the Court of Tax Review for the State of Oklahoma.
- University of Oklahoma College of Law, Norman, OK – Juris Doctor, 1978
- University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK – Bachelor of Business Administration, 1974
- University of Nevada, Reno, NV – General Jurisdictional Program for State Trial Judges, 1981
- Cornell University, Ithaca, NY – Graduate Studies in Warehousing and Transportation
- Oklahoma Bar Association Continuing Legal Education - Seminars on numerous topics, including the examination and cross-examination of expert witnesses, family law, sentencing considerations for trial judges, annual updates for both civil and criminal law, and various "views from the bench" presentations
- National Judicial College, Reno, NV - Adjunct faculty member and principal presenter for judicial seminars on Proper Trial Practices for Presiding over Death Penalty Cases
- United States Department of Justice - Certified Expert in the Trial of Capital Case Litigation
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (NADN)
- Member of Oklahoma Bar Association and Canadian County Bar Association
- President-District Judge of Oklahoma Judicial Conference
- Master Emeritus with Ruth Bader Ginsberg American Inns of Court
- Oklahoma Judicial Conference Delegate to the National Conference of State Trial Judges
- National Conference of State Trial Judges of the American Bar Association - Executive Board member and representative for trial judges of Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. Member of "Rights of Victims of Crimes" and "Courts and the Community" committees.
- Chairman of the Oklahoma Bar Association Criminal Law Committee
- Chairman of Criminal Law Section for the National Conference of State Trial Judges
- Oklahoma Civil Jury Instruction Committee member
- Oklahoma Criminal Jury Instruction Committee Chair
- Oklahoma Bar Association John E. Shipp Award for Ethics
- Trial Judge of the Year award from Oklahoma Chapter of American Board of Trial Advocates
- Outstanding Member of the Judiciary award from Oklahoma Bar Association Family Law Section
- "Special Judicial Service Award" from the Oklahoma Trial Lawyers Association
- Fellow of the Young Lawyers Division of the Oklahoma Bar Association
- United States Department of Justice honoree for work on the rights of victims of crime
- Honored Member in "Who's Who in Law Enforcement"
- Governor's Commendation from Governor Frank Keating for "Devotion to the principles of justice and the rights of the victims of crime"
- Oklahoma Bar Association Outstanding Young Lawyer Award
- Co-author of "Recommended Judicial Practices for Trial Judges"
- United States Marine Corps – Vietnam veteran
Please click your preferred available date below to submit an
Appointment Request Form directly to scheduling staff.
(Move mouse over AM and PM dates to confirm the mediation office)